Saturday, 21 February 2015

Variations on a theme: Butterick B5415 two ways






This top and dress are both from the same pattern: ButterickB5415. It’s a really simple pattern, which I went for because I thought the different versions would be useful for a range of basic tops and dresses.

I used pattern B for both, with amended sleeves, making them shorter and a little narrower. I also gathered them quite a lot at the top to give a bit more structure at the shoulder.





















For the dress I used a woven lightweight wool, which was easy to use, apart from being very prone to fraying. The pattern includes a contrast hem band, which I didn’t go for. But I used a dark red thread to finish the hems, which is a bit of an unusual choice, but I’m happy with how it turned out. I’ve had a couple of goes at photographs for this, over a few weeks, most recently in the rain on a very cold day, and so even though they’ve come out showing that I should have done a better job of pressing the dress, I’m not having a third attempt at pictures!
 
 



















For the top, I went for this very lightweight, and rather slippery, bird print fabric. I can’t remember what it was, and am no good at identifying fabrics, but I can recall it was a bargain at £4 per metre on Goldhawk Road. The only trouble with this one is that because the fabric is so lightweight, the stiffness of the zip slightly distorts the drape at the back. I wish I’d bought a more delicate zip to go with it, but there’s another lesson learnt for next time!

 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment